What We Believe
The following are brief summaries of some key beliefs that help define who we are:
1. The Bible. It is God’s word and His complete written revelation to us. Though written down by human authors, it was through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Because of that, it is truth without any mixture of error. It is the guide for how we are to live as Christians and operate as a church.
2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Hebrews 4:12
2. God. There is only one true & living God who is the Creator & Sustainer of the universe. God is eternal and reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, & Holy Spirit, with
distinct personal attributes but without division of nature, essence, or being—a “Trinity” (three-in-one).
• As Father, He desires and makes possible for all to become part of His eternal family.
Genesis 1:1, 26-27; Deuteronomy 6:4;
Matthew 28:19; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Corinthians 13:14
• Jesus, God the Son, is co-equal with the Father and was in existence before His incarnation. He was born to a virgin, lived a sinless life, & died a sacrificial death to save us. His resurrection from the dead proved that He was the Son of God with power over sin & death. He will return to gather His church to be with Him forever.
Matthew 1:18-23; John 1:1, 14; Isaiah 9:6;
Isaiah 53:1-12; Romans 1:1-4; Acts 1:9-11
• The Holy Spirit is God, co-equal with the Father & the Son. He has personal attributes (is not some inanimate “force”). He makes us aware of our need for salvation and is active in the process of saving us. He lives in every believer from the moment of salvation and provides the Christian with power for living and understanding spiritual truth. He gives every believer at least one spiritual gift to be used in the work of the Kingdom.
John 14:16-18; 15:26-27; 16:7-14;
2 Corinthians 3:17; Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 12:1-11
3. Humanity. We were created by a special act of God, the crowning work of His creation. We are made in His image and were created to live forever with Him. Because of sin, we are separated from God and are dead spiritually. We are incapable of overcoming sin on our own and are in need of salvation, which God offers to us. Until we receive salvation, we can expect only judgment & eternal separation from God. By receiving Jesus as Savior & Lord, we become part of the family of God.
Genesis 1:26-27; Psalm 8; Romans 3:23 & 6:23
4. Salvation. Salvation is God’s gift of forgiveness & adoption into His family that comes by receiving Jesus into our lives as Lord and Savior. He is the only way to be saved. Salvation is something each individual must choose to receive and it is the beginning of a life that should be totally surrendered to God. God’s gift of salvation lasts forever & culminates in our being with Him in heaven. Those who do not receive God’s gift of salvation spend eternity in hell.
John 3:16-18; John 14:6; Romans 10:9-10;
Ephesians 2:8-10; Romans 8:31-39
5. The Church. Church exists on both a universal (those from all history & locations who have been saved by faith) and local (smaller groups of likeminded believers) level. The church (local & universal) is given the mission of making disciples of the entire world.
Matthew 16:13-18; Matthew 28:18-20;
Acts 2:41-47; Ephesians 4:11-16
6. Baptism & The Lord’s Supper. The two ordinances of the church symbolize Jesus’ death, burial, & resurrection and our communion (sharing) with Him in life eternal.
Romans 6:3-5; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
A more detailed statement is in The Baptist Faith & Message (2000), published by the Southern Baptist Convention, of which we are a part.
We will use the Bible as the ultimate and final word for what we are to believe and how we are to behave. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
We will offer worship services which help people connect & respond to God as well as encourage & equip individuals in private prayer & worship. Matthew 22:37
We will help believers grow to their fullness in Christ, developing disciples who are disciple-makers. Matthew 28:18-20
We believe that the best expression of Christian community (relationships, spiritual growth, member care) takes place through small groups. We expect every member to be active in a small group.
Evangelism & Missions
We will reach out to the lost through evangelism (in our immediate circles of influence) & missions (beyond our local community), following the example & command of Jesus. Luke 19:10; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8
We believe that every Christian is gifted for ministry in the church and should be a servant outside the church.
Salt & Light
We will be a positive presence in the community by being a moral voice, meeting needs, and helping the hurting. Matthew 5:13-16
Strengthening Individuals & Families
We will offer Biblical instruction & support through programming and ministries for singles, couples, & families.
Our mission is to help people connect to God, other believers, service, and the world.